Ms. Ellis' practice focuses on representing prime contractors throughout the United States relating to multi-million-dollar public works projects and miscellaneous commercial litigation. Ms. Ellis has been involved with all aspects of the construction industry, from procurement (contract preparation and negotiation through bid protests) to claim development and prosecution / defense of claims, in all forms of dispute resolution (mediation, arbitration, dispute review boards and litigation before state and federal courts). She has experience in a vast array of cases in several states, including in construction matters in the commercial sector (bridges, highways, water treatment plants, and rail lines). Her practice deals with the legal representation of general contractors, owners, design professionals, and other construction-related participants involving a broad array of issues including contract negotiations, contract disputes, delay, acceleration and disruption claims, design negligence, construction defects and bid protests.
Whitney's current work includes representation of the general contractor related to a $1.2 billion major bridge replacement on a public-private-partnership project in the New York City area, and the representation of the prime contractor in connection with the development and prosecution of multi-million dollar claims on a Corps of Engineers at Lake Okeechobee, Florida. In addition, her work includes representation the design-builder on a $1.3 billion Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project (Phase 2) in northern Virginia (Washington, D.C. area). Her current work also deals with the representation of a contractor on a Florida Chapter 558 dispute resolution process at a high-end timeshare resort in Orlando. Her recent work includes representation of the general contractor on claims related to $20 million in disputes on a rail project in Quantico, Virginia and a $10+ million-dollar supplier dispute on a highway project in Louisiana. Recent work also includes the representation of a general contractor in a bid protest matter with the Florida Department of Transportation on a highway project, representation of a general contractor on a high-rise tower condominium in Miami, Florida and representation of a homeowner related to disputes with a general contractor on the construction of a $30+ million-dollar home.
Whitney is a member of the bar of the State of Florida and has been admitted to the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
Commercial Litigation; Construction Litigation
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, Juris Doctor, with honors, 2013
- Activities and Honors: Phi Delta Phi International Legal Honor Fraternity; Dean's List Fall 2011, Spring 2012; Florida Blue Key Vice President, Law College Council; Florida Gubernatorial Fellowship, Class VIII
- University of Florida, Bachelor of Science in Food and Resource Economics, with honors, 2010
- Activities and Honors: Florida Blue Key Executive Board; Student Government Constitutional Review Commission; Student Government Assistant Supervisor of Elections; Golden Key Honor Fraternity; Kappa Delta
- 2013, Florida
- 2017, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida